Thursday, July 8, 2021

Issey Miyake futon wrap part 2 of 3

I decided after all that work put in on the stencil, it should be used.  It was a learning experience, after a sample, which turned out pretty well I thought.  

sample

Gah... I can't tell you how frustrated I am with the lighting in my sewing room.

It didn't turn out as well on the body of the wrap. 

Argh

If you look closely, there's some smudging and missing stamens, and puddling on the edges of the flower petals. 

 

One or two flowers? Because the second is sure to be better, it needed more help than the first.


 Of course, the minute you paint on the garment.... this lead me to pacing... and trying stitching on my scrap.... 


Finally had a lightbulb moment and looked for a tiny paint brush and fixing what I could.  Result!

Touch Up

It's still drying, tomorrow, it will be ironed to set the paint.

The batting used is Morning Glory Low Loft Polyester batting, purchased at a thrift store for $2.00.  Beware of thrift store batting, once opened, about a third of it had been used, but there is still enough  for the wrap

I did manage to find a flash of the original instructions, the batting is cut for the lining, the mitred frame, the sleeves, and the sleeve cuffs.  This made sense because the frame has a bit of dimension, as well as the cuffs.  As this is a first attempt, we'll try with the thinner batting and see what it looks like. The sleeves will be cut out last.




Bands in process....

Front & Inside lining....


Batting needs to be catchstitched......

Hmm, sleeves and pocket to go...



A couple of more days.... a lot of handwork to do .....

2 comments:

celkalee said...

This one is truly a labor of concentration. The stencil is lovely, I think it looks fine. While I am not a fan of puffy coats, this one has some simple design lines that provide so many embellishment possibilities. Nothing like hours of handwork to relax a lady!

ELMO said...

I have a blister from all of the quilting / sashiko stitching. I agree, it's a great coat for embellishment, I could totally see a traditional quilt pattern used here.