Flea Market Window Quilt Lori Holt
This was a kit purchased 5 years ago, it involves an applique method that is new to me. The kit comes in a cute box, and all of the fabric for the quilt top and yoyo's. You will have to purchase the lightweight Sew in Interfacing for the white petals.
Note: I used the Sew in Interfacing made by Lori Holt of Bee in my bonnet, and when I ran out I picked up some lightweight non woven, non fusible interfacing (910 Sew In Featherweight interfacing from Pellon) they were very similar in weight and a good substitute.
This was a good exercise for nailing down the 1/4" seam allowance. To make up all of the 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" pieces the 10" stacker and 5" stacker had to be cut down to size.
Super proud! It's very flat, within 1/8" in the finished measurement for the pieced portion. The seams were even pressed open and there's no funky twisting going on. I was also very careful about attaching the rows together as planned, I made a few boo boos but am getting much better at moving the fabric to the machine and sewing it together as laid out. I might be a little dyslectic. The borders were attached and now for the next step.
This was new to me. The instructions came with an outline of the petal shape, which was used to mark the interfacing. I think they do sell a template, but using a paper template worked well. The rectangles of border fabric are stacked up ready for assembly line sewing.
This part was fun, I split the petals up over the next week, and created little piles, then sat watching TV, slitting the interfacing, trimming and turning.
This was a first attempt at using my machine to attach the petals. This did not go so well, so start with one as a test, then proceed with caution. Once this was ironed out, I was able to complete one line an evening. I really wanted to enjoy this process.
After putting the yoyo's away, the tedious task of removing all of the fabric behind the petals, which included the interfacing, and the colored block area.
Of course I managed to clip the face of the petals in two places but repaired them, and I defy anyone to find them. (don't look too closely). One was replaced completely, and there will be enough fabric to make additional petals. I wish I had more of the light colored border and petal fabric to fancy cut the petals. There are a few that are cute fussy cuts and some not so much. The next step will be making the sandwich for quilting.
Stay tuned...
And as an aside, I am sitting here fuming because my Microsoft computer will not allow me to upload the other photos of this project without uploading everything to the cloud. I am not amused. Over reach much?



Comments