Saturday, February 1, 2020

Corrections in Quilting Patterns.......Testing a new block for the Handkerchief Corner quilt

I love fabric!  24 different 1/4 yard cuts, in yarn dyed stripes and three solids.  It's always a little daunting at the beginning of  a quilt to see the number of pieces that need to be cut out.  240 pieces + 120 pieces, and that doesn't include ironing, cutting the strips, and the joining that comes before. It's best not to go there, just put on some of your favorite music and get to it.


A little ironing zen first, while listening to Dean Martin's Love Songs, I hope it's lively, I do a lot of CD shopping at thrift stores!!



This is already a problem, for the striped fabric.

The instructions call for cutting 14" strips.
Out of 1/4 yard.
The stripes run parallel to the selvage
and 1/4 yard will yield an 9" length.


This will be double the fussing.

If you purchased 1/2 yard lengths, you would have no problem.

Alrighty, well it looks like the 1/4 yd lengths are a much bigger problem.  Since the stripes aren't symmetrical, you need to look for a repeat in the width, and match the pattern.  This is a pretty major issue.  I wonder if they have issued some sort of correction.  
Oh Look....


Look right there on the first line.  How fortunate for me that these 24 fabrics, are so difficult to get, and will now be different dye lots, and ugly color ways, looks like it's pattern matching for me!!

Oh look, I won't have enough.... seriously, not happy.
Ok, quilters what does one do?

I can only yield, 8 qty 14 1/2" pieces and I need 10 of each pattern, that means I'll be 20% short, just for the 14 1/2" lengths needed, and short ALL OF THE 9 1/2" lengths.

Options....
Carry on, and look for more of the striped fabric to complete the quilt
Scrap this quilt design and use the fabrics for another pattern
Look for coordinating fabrics....
Make a smaller quilt and reconfigure the pattern...

I'm so annoyed right now, it would behoove me to count the blocks needed to make sure the correction is correct.

The pattern requires 120 large blocks and 144 small blocks.
I can produce.... 96 of each.

Glorious color has some striped fabrics available....... another $40, and I still need backing....... this needs some more thinking.....

Lesson learned... check for corrections, or try to work out pattern in your head before diving in.


I think maybe dinner will be worked on instead....

2 comments:

celkalee said...

Off the top of my head here....change the block size to suit the fabric you have. Your quilt will be smaller but the pattern intact? Let me think about this a while....

Love the pattern, the fabric is beautiful. There has to be a solution.

ELMO said...

The blocks will need to be reconfigured. I’m charging ahead and matching and cutting. The border blocks use a solid center which may have to be resized to compensate. One thing for certain, this will not be straightforward.