Sunday, February 23, 2020

History Bounding Ralph Lauren Classic Safari #Historybounding

History bounding sounds unrealistic for most of us.  What we don't understand, is that designers are history bounding all the time.  Always looking back in history for design ideas to reinterpret.  Maybe, this is why he's been so popular, he gives us a little escapism. Sigh.





My case in point.... Ralph Lauren and his Safari collection.  Safari is not his only example, more on that in upcoming posts.

Be still my heart, this suede safari jacket is on sale from $3,200 to $1,300, still available girls....


The safari dress

The safari evening gown


In the 80's, his collection was actually shot on "Safari".



And if you want more safari inspiration, just look at this Pinterest search.... HERE.

Update on the corset.... I think a corded corset is more work than a straight up boned corset... and it's evil..




3 comments:

LindaC said...

Out of Africa - 1985 very popular movie. I'm sure was a huge influence in creating the safari look. Even the model in the photo looks a little "Streep-ish."

I like the look. It makes a comeback every 10 years or so.

celkalee said...

I always liked the Safari style. One of my favorites was a dress, similar to the one shown. I had a nice medium weight twill, in the tan-family, button front, epaulets, patch pockets, etc. I remember wearing it with braided leather espadrilles. Too cute. I long since gave up the pattern but replaced it last summer. Need to consider that one. The corset...wow. You have been a busy bee!

ELMO said...

Out of Africa, is my all time favorite movie. Love it.

The corset is almost completed, just waiting on some boning and grommets. Yay!