Thursday, February 20, 2020

Laughing Mercantile 115 Corset prep

This is the first pattern I've seen with an instruction booklet.  It is very thorough, and has been recommended because of the size range, and the very specific instructions for grading to your size.  The corset comes in two versions, a theatrical version and an historical version.  The historical version is corded, which is the one I'll be making. Hmmm long or short version?






They recommend a hot water soak for the fabric before starting, I will also include the cording while at it.  Since the corset is meant to conform to the body and not alter it's shape, a light weight fabric is designated, cotton sateen, for the exterior and broadcloth for the lining. I'm using a lightweight denim, and a quilting cotton for the interior.

The fabric has turned the water yellow... yikes. I don't know why this has happened. It shows up better in person, I continued changing the water until it ran clear.




Oh, and don't soak your cording, because this happens... it happened so quickly, once it hit the hot water it contracted, now it smells like mildew.




Fabric prep finished.  Marking and cording next...



Did anyone catch the Fabric Mart sale last week?  65% off, I need more fabric, like I need a hole in the head.... but it's so pretty.  I think some marrakesh pants are in my future. There's a soft black handkerchief linen, a check linen, a very stretchy suit weight linen, and a navy linen.  They all say, Dry Clean Only... I don't think so.  This may be the week I ruin my FM linens.  I love an experiment.


Quilt will be put on hold for a week, other projects are beginning to pile up and I need to get to them.. the small blocks are finished. The small blocks make up the center of the quilt, the larger blocks will outline this center piece.





No comments: