Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Best laid plains and Fabric Jenga part 2? , just a cami

So after more rummaging through the bins, I found a skirt that was mine, that I just never gave away, because I loved it, had many happy occasions in it. This full skirt will give me two 1 yard panels, which will be 26" wide. 26" will be enough length for a blouse, or another skirt, or even if I wanted to be really decadent, the lining of another really nice skirt, a camisole tank top or a half slip.

 



The nice thing about repurposing is that you can take advantage of finished edges.  Here, I will take advantage of the skirt's finished bottom hem, and the center front button closure and hem on the safari top.  


I may have talked myself out of using the cream silk fabric above, because it has so much potential.... lets see what else is in the stash...  I bought this fabric, and quickly cut it into panels and sewed it up and never finished it.  It's a georgette with a yarn running through it, it is very bouncy, and inky black.  It has already been washed so no bleeding issue... could this be the "one"? 


 I pinned it on myself, and then put it on the form. Some soul searching is required here.  That will mean lopping off the bottom, that would be a lot of waste... could this work?


Haha, a bit lopsided....

What a difference a dart makes, that's better but still looks a bit slanted.


What to do... are there any other black fabrics in the stash?

Why yes there is, do you remember the evening gown I put together 4 years ago, worn once, and it's a rayon jersey, perfect for sleepwear, and there will be less waste (because I already lopped off the bottom and turned it into a skirt.  I'll just prewash the top before giving it a makeover.


Recycling is a little like fabric Jenga, but for all of my efforts.... tada!!

It looks pretty plain, but this will get a lot of wear.  I needed a tank or camisole for a shirt, I love but never wear because it's too sheer.


Here's the back, it needs a good ironing.


Had some challenges along the way, while cutting away the fabric from the lining, a dip was required, to cut out the zipper.  If you look at the back pic above, you can see the patch at top center back.


This was the patch up close.


Bias binding was applied to the neckline and armholes for a tiny facing.  All of these areas had been staystitched right after cutting.


This is the shirt, it usually gets pulled out for the holidays when the weather is cooler, because I couldn't wear it without a jacket over it.  It is very sheer despite being doubled up on the front.


No one wants to see your bra strap, but the cami is a good solution. I mean you can see the cami under the shirt, this is super sheer.


This was an excellent use of fabric because it makes a favorite shirt useable without a jacket.


I can't speculate what project will be done next.... perhaps the safari outfit will be completed.... or something else.  I'll be back for more fabric Jenga Fun!!

No comments: