Monday, November 2, 2020

Look what followed me home.... Vintage 1930's yoyo quilt

 I have an excellent thrift store close to me and today they were having a sale.  In the bedding section were two yoyo quilts in one bag, the only issue.... I couldn't look at them and open them up.  I would have to buy them sight unseen.  I took the plunge.  Many quilt groups video tape their antique and vintage quilts and it's called "bed turning".  My yoyo quilt is only 21 yoyo's strong, and they are tiny and silk.  Many more yoyo's will need to be made.  

This one, I can only think was made before the other.  It is in much worse shape. Many areas need to be repaired.


Here is the pretty one, they look a lot alike, however the fabrics are in much better shape, and the colors are better.  This was in their unwashed states.


When they arrived home, I realized, they smelled awful.  Into the washing machine they went with a pair of color catchers, and some Orvus detergent. They were washed separately, and air dried.  I took a chance that they would not be further damaged, because they could not stay as is.  


It's pretty amazing how the colors have come out in this dingy quilt.  The color catchers were yellow on this quilt.


On this quilt you can see that the purple must have been different dye lots and faded to different degrees.  I think this was made first because the printed fabrics have faded in areas, and there is quite a bit of wear on the yoyos.  Also, along the bottom you can see they used a completely different palette of colors.  Could be a repair, or an attempt to lengthen a short piece.


 There was also, what I think, was the yoyo test quilt, still unwashed.



Wow, this was some really fine work.


If I had to guess, I would say that these are from the 1930's, I do not know enough about feed sacks to say that some are included.

2 comments:

celkalee said...

Wow, you sure did bring some yo-yo's home! They are charming. Glad you used the color catchers. That yellow might have been from a smoker. I have seen it before. You have a project there dear friend. I have made two small ones. One was purchased by a lady that used to own an antique shop here for her Mother. The other one I still have. It was really great fun and relaxing to make. A very portable craft. I have seen some backed with a piece of cotton fabric in a complimentary color. It was much more stable that way and stitched down as well, around the outside of each Yo-yo. It was used as a bed quilt. Mine is just the yo-yo's!

ELMO said...

It might have been, I couldn't place the smell. If it was nicotine, it was likely stored for a long time. It smells nice now, I may sell the nicer one, and refashion the other. The silk yoyo's will likely be backed onto another fabric. I'm waiting for that project to gel for me.