Monday, November 9, 2020

Gravity Feed iron tragedy.... and a plaid skirt.

 I have made promises to myself not to buy any more fabric until I thin the herd, but after a trip to Goodwill, this followed me home.


It's only a yard, so nothing too elaborate will be done here.  This popped up in my instagram feed and I thought, Oh, that's cute!



It's a simple A line skirt, with two back darts, an invisible zipper, two side pockets and cute waistband detail.  The model is cotton, mine will be wool, and I'll need to experiment with some thread to make the topstitching prominent.  



GRAVITY FEED IRON - UPDATE

We all know that my iron slid off of the ironing board and shattered the back plastic case.  Well I found a break out of the parts online.


The only thing that had shattered were the holes that secured the back piece to the L bracket. 

 I emailed the company that sold it to me, and asked them if I could buy the part.  After some back and forth, they said yes they could order it.  I should call back and speak to Mr "X" and give him the part and price and he would add it into the system.  I was so grateful that I didn't stop to think, why don't you contact him?  So after several calls, I finally got a hold of him.  He laughed and said, no she needs to add it.  I said, can't you speak to her directly and sort this out?  He said, no, I'm at home since March and he laughed.  Clearly, this was a company that was using quarantine as an excuse to abandon customer service.  He could have called her, could have emailed.... when I didn't get anywhere, I shot an email back to the original contact. Then I get a curt email, suggesting that I send the iron in for repair, and that they don't like to order parts for people because of warranty.  Well, my iron has been out of warranty for a while now.  I didn't bother responding, instead I searched online and found the same part, half price, with different brand labeling.  My iron now works... $18 later.



Part 122000 Main Switch Assembly, now I will say the light on the assembly doesn't light on the new unit, so I will have to just wait until it has sufficient time to heat up.  Instead, I have added a green dot to the top of the switch to remind me, that is the ON side,  because I have left the iron on more than once.  So happy ending.


2 comments:

celkalee said...

Bravo on the Iron Fix! If anyone could do it, you could! Love the fabric. It reminds me of one that Bernadette Banner bought at Mood, I think. Have to check that out. The skirt would be too cute. I am jealous that you need so little fabric to make a skirt, good girl!

ELMO said...

I was really lucky, I ordered the part based on sight only. Looks like this year is turning around :)