Saturday, December 11, 2021

Embroidery for the Robe de la Francaise bedroom curtains....

 The Embroidered Sheers

The sheers, were part of the same decorator fabric haul from the thrift store. I had never seen such thin fabric so fluffy, the roll was enormous.

 The sheers were handled the same way as the curtain fabric, they had been precut with generous seam allowances.  This was a mistake, the fabric was sold folded on rolls I had naturally assumed that the fabric would have to be seamed into panels, it did not, as a matter of fact it would have saved me time, and it would have looked better to have one continuous piece.  


The sheer fabric was 120" wide.  It is also a nightmare to sew.  The raised embroidery and the unstable weave made it very slippery and bulky.  My first side hem done by machine, was not pretty, (it is hiding on an outer edge under the curtains).   I opted to sew the panels together by machine, as well as the top rod channel.  The side hems, and bottom were done by hand.

Here were the first panels, finished in time for Thanksgiving. 

 The other half of the curtains and sheers were completed a week later.


The fun thing about thrifting and using coupons, is the you end up with something you might have never thought possible.  These curtains would have been pretty pricey if you get them made, instead of making them yourself.  I love these curtains, and can't wait to finish the rest of the bedroom projects I have slated.  This concludes the Curtains in the Robe de la Francaise theme.  We shall see if we can get it all done before the end of the year... stay tuned. 

2 comments:

celkalee said...

It has been a while since I used fabric, much like that, for curtain panels. Fussy little buggers they were. I ended up using a layer of tissue paper, next to the feed dogs to keep the machine from eating the fabric. It worked well, and tore off easily but I have not done it again!

You did well finding these gems, they look like high-end custom-made...well they are custom-made!

ps. when I washed those, I hang them wet. After a light spin in the washer, they dry within a few hours and any residual wrinkle steams out easily.

ELMO said...

I've used the tissue paper with chiffon, but this was a slippery nightmare. I was very lucky to find the coordinating fabrics.