Thursday, December 9, 2021

Robe a la Francaise Pleated Curtains.... part 2

The Curtains

Inspector Boots


 First, I joined the panels.  I had settled on 2.5 times the width I needed.  The class had suggested 1.5 times being the most common, but I had done a smaller window test curtain with that ratio, and didn't like it, it looked skimpy.  Also, since I wanted a more opulent curtain, and I had the fabric, I opted for more width.

Test Pleated Curtains 1.5x width


This is where the issues started.  This is where having the true cross grain on the panels would have been useful.  Some of the panels weren't cut straight across, so I had to start with making sure the pieces were flat, and trimmed straight on one end as my starting point. You can see the uneven edges on the bottom. 

The second issue, the different widths of the fabrics.... Since the lining was the narrowest everything was trimmed down so that the seams could be matched, or lined up to one another.  This turned out to be a good thing. The selvedge, which pulls up at the edges, did not allow the fabric to lie flat.

Because of all of the trimming and last minute width changes the panel is now 2.25x instead of the 2.5x that I had planned for.  Know, that you can play with the pleats a bit borrowing from the pleat width or spacing to get where you need to go, especially when you start off with the larger ratio.

Sewing the pleats

The sewing machine was used for joining the panels, hemming the lining, and forming the pleats.  The serger was used to finish the flannel hem.  All of the side hems, header and bottom hem were completed by hand.

The puddling was not intentional but I think the result makes it that much more opulent.... that doesn't mean there won't be tie backs in my future. However, I can pick them up a little bit by moving the pin on hooks lower in the header pleat.  That should give me another 1/4" of play. Also, I measured the curtain length from the bare floor and not the rug, which is 1/2" higher.

Also be careful when making a pair, especially if they are not symmetrical, since I wanted the half panels placed on the outside edge instead of the center, the finished panels have a definite left and right.

What the class did teach me was how to use the rings that are sold today for the pleated curtains. I puzzled over this for a bit, and this is how I had hung the first test curtains.  I had thought that I might put a ribbon inside the pleat to clip to but learned this instead.

You can remove the clips which leaves a small ring at the bottom of the curtain ring to attach the pleat hooks to.

Which looks modern, and you don't have to rely on the traverse rods that can look dated.


Well, I don't remember having that curtain open...No.... don't have ghosts, but do see tiny indents in the cushion. Could be stealthy kitty.

The things learned along the way.... that the Craftsy class does not address.

1) When planning your fabric, fabric widths are important.  The polyester was 57", the flannel was 55" and the lining was 54".  Since I lined up the seams, part of the polyester had to be narrowed, which means I didn't have the original width planned.

2) When buying your fabrics, try to get them from one bolt or lot.  The slight changes even in the white fabrics can cast a different light through your curtains.

Right about now your thinking, ok, they are generous curtains but how do they remind you of a Robe a la Francaise?  Ah.... to add to the generous cut and pooling fabric, there's an additional element in the sheers.... up next.



2 comments:

celkalee said...

Well, so much fussing did pay off. They are lovely. Since I "lost" all my Craftsy classes I didn't even see this one. I do prefer the larger size ratio, The opulence of a window covering is lost if it looks stretched out or skimpy. On the decor shows now, I am starting to see window coverings return. The bare window look is losing its popularity. I have two bare windows (not my choice) that will soon be redressed. You have convinced me.

Mr. B. apparently approves!

ELMO said...

Thank you, My living room is still bare.... I'll have to keep my radar up to see if I find a bolt of white fabric in my travels.