Friday, December 24, 2021

Making that Restoration Hardware Tailored Bedskirt.....

Inspiration bed skirt


 I've made a new duvet cover (that in another post), and now, it's time to replace the bed skirt that was too short for the box spring.  My first step was to create the base.  I used an existing bed skirt and trimmed away the ruffled fabric, and serged the edges. 

I purchased 5 yards, and the fabric is 43" wide after washing. 

The drop was 16", I decided to split the fabric down the middle 21.5".  

This would give a 3" margin on the top and a 2" hem. 


The box spring measured 80" x 60", and I added 8" to the side panels, 
and 36" to the panel at the end.  The deep pleat ensures the seam will sit in the inside fold of the corner pleat.



The panels were joined, and hemmed.

Then draped around the bed and pinned to the base.  The corners have deep pleats, 12" for each side, or 24" for the inverted pleat.






After I was happy with the inverted pleats, I went back in to mitre the top corner seam, securing all of the layers.




Honestly, I could leave it like this, or I could slide it off and machine sew it, or .... hand stitch it to the base fabric. I decided to do both.  I secured the pleats with hand stitches, and took it to the machine to finish the rest.

This is the least wrinkled this fabric will be.... it is a blend of linen and cotton.


I had to assemble this by myself, and the mattress is quite heavy, so there are wrinkles everywhere.  I have an idea on how to iron the bedskirt while on the bed, but for now, maybe if they hang for a bit, some of them will soften.... that is my hope.


This is a good transition to the next project... the pillows... another story altogether.
Happy Holidays!!


2 comments:

celkalee said...

I do like the inverted pleats! My new sofa has a deep tailored inverted pleat on each side of the corner and the corner sort of wraps around. I need to get a pic of that to copy for a bed skirt. I think the linen wrinkles, although minimal from what I can see, give it a bit of character. Linen wrinkles, oh well! Merry Christmas.

ELMO said...

The wrinkles are worse in harsh light, but you are right. I'll live with it a while and see if it needs fixing. Merry Christmas to you!