Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Progress on the grounds....the edible kind



All I can say is that it is gratifying to plant something and watch it grow.  These are plantings for the future, so that when the big house is finished, it will feel more like home.  I wasn't banking on these trees producing this year, I just wanted to plant them and let them establish a footing in the soil.  A few of them have surprised me.

The fig tree is starting to produce tiny figs.



After a vigorous spraying to get rid of the ants and aphids, the apple tree has produced some tiny apples.




The citrus performance has been spotty, producing many blooms and dropping many.  I think they just may be too young yet, they need some time.  In the meantime, I see the trunks thickening and the trees getting bigger.  These are the Orlando Tangelos.  



The avocado tree will definitely not be producing, for a looong time.


Here, an out of focus olive from the olive tree, so I'll look forward to my harvest of one.




This is a continuing experiment, next year may see some of these trees being ripped up and placed in another location in the garden.  Still trying to plot the path of the sun through the oaks, to determine the best place for the trees.



A project in process...




2 comments:

celkalee said...

Wow, how exciting! It is the balmy Florida weather! That olive is so darn cute! Our local Italian store sells fig trees every year and I have been so tempted but I am not sure. Now you have me on another quest!!!

ELMO said...

I have the fig in a pot, apparently they are invasive, and I wasn't sure if I was ready for a fig farm. Also, if you plant one in the ground, be warned that the tree has a "fig smell", slightly perfumey, or sickly sweet. Next year I may move it further away from the house.