Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Mini KonMari Session..... Apparel Fabric Storage

This little beauty was "organized" back in December, and by organized,


 I mean the fabrics were taken out of their bins, aired out and refolded to fit the shelf/bin.  I watched a "folding" tutorial that recommends, outlining the finished dimension on  a table surface, and folding to the boundaries, so that each fabric will fit the space. Since I knew, these fabrics were going back into bins, I used the bin dimension instead of the shelf.

Keep the fabric, this size :)

Freshly washed bins!!  Using the dimensions of the short side.



 This was not bad, but after hours of doing that, the top shelf suffered from my fatigue.


Organizing prefolded fabrics, went pretty quickly.



 The plastic bins were washed and air dryed for a few days.  I had hoped that leaving the folded fabrics on the racks  would work, but it's not practical to leave them this way, they are too unstable. 

Now that I've lived with this for a bit, it's clear, bulky fabrics can live in large bins, thin fabrics need a different size bin, or another approach entirely.

Chiffons - worked well in 15" x 10" x 6"  sized bins



Wools and Fleece went back into the 56 Qt Sterilite


The second shelf  will be dropped to make more space further up.  
This solution is customizable to an extent, which is handy.


Now with the shelf adjusted, I may have space to add another shelf.
The document boxes at Office Depot, are a good fit for the shelf, it will leave a little space on the end (see below).

In my old place, I had three bins on each shelf, arranged this way, they stick out from the front and back about 3", which is fine behind closet doors.  I am hoping to stick with two, so that one day in the future, I can make a cover for the bookcase, so that they look less "industrial", and I can roll it back into the sewing area.


Half way there...

Live to fight another day...silks, georgettes and evening fabrics are going to be the next round.

2 comments:

celkalee said...

You are on a roll! I un-binned my garment fabrics a while ago. I moved everything to a walk in closet and hung some of the stable fabrics, folded others and popped them into one or two of those fabric-like closet organizers with "shelves" for stacking t shirts etc. I have muslin loosely draped over the bars of the closet on each side as dust protectors. I go in there now and then because I forget what I have, I have misplaced my little sample book!

ELMO said...

Hanging is a good idea, I don't have the space right now, but might in the near future.