Thursday, November 19, 2020

Evening Gown turned Loungewear set more Fabric Jenga

Remember this?  I wore it once, it was a lightweight rayon jersey, and really won't get any more wear out of it.  It's time to put it into circulation.


 I had thought to chop the top off and wear it as is, but after it didn't have the weight of the skirt, the back shoulders would splay and it would fall off. Loungewear has been on my mind.

The Transformation

before & after

The bottom of the dress, will be a pair of wide legged capri pants


Using my tried and true pant pattern, I traced the curve and transferred it onto a piece of paper and over the skirt waist.


Quality control inspector

The crotch curve is cut out, then slit up the front and back fold, the edges matched to create the leg, sewn and done.  I wanted to try an uneven hem, and the dress was longer in the back and shorter in the front.  If you are going to do this at home and want to have an even hem (assuming the back is longer than the front) , you would match front panels together , and back panels together (as in the pic below), so your center front and back are on the fold, and put the pant curve on the fold (not at the side seam as below) . The front crotch seam on the front fold and the back crotch seam at the back fold.  Also, if you are using a stretchy knit, don't lower the crotch curve.  If your fabric is heavy and thin, the crotch curve will lower automatically from the weight of the fabric.


Attach some lingerie elastic to the waist, and you are done.   I like how uneven hems look, but every time I've tried to do it at home, my instinct is to fix it.  The same goes for creating deconstructed looks, I just can't leave it.  So this was a nice way to experiment with it, and If I feel like I have to fix it I will.



The top was overcast at the hem

The top back was secured with a stretch elastic to keep the shoulders together





And this is the finished product.  Some loungewear for the fall.

They are very comfortable.


This has been a good few days, some weird looking panties, silk camisole, and loungewear.  Since I've been working with elastics and that's fresh on my mind I might try another few projects with elastic.  Elastics are not that easy to master, and a warm up is essential for me.



No comments: