Monday, August 2, 2021

It's going to be an Alabama Chanin Christmas.... White & Black Organic Jersey washing review

 My first Alabama Chanin project, in my previous post, was made out of a heavy cotton spandex jersey in my stash.  I took advantage of the Alabama Chanin summer sale and purchased some of the organic cotton jersey from the website.  This is just a mini review for those thinking of buying.  It shipped really fast, and was packed with a parchment tissue paper.  When I placed the order, I was going to request that they be put in a plastic bag, just in case.  It's been raining here all week, and wanted to be sure the fabric wouldn't get damaged in the process.  Of course I forgot, but if you order, you might want to request it, because it's not standard.


It measures almost 62" after having it relax a bit.  The selvage edges have a hard edge, probably treated so it doesn't curl uncontrollably, when they take it off the loom.  That hard edge takes up 1" on the white.  Maybe it will get softer after washing, we'll see.  As is, the working width is a bit under 60".

Both cuts have stickers on them suggesting that you wash the fabric before use.  They don't give you instructions... so I've gone to the AC website. You can read about it HERE.https://journal.alabamachanin.com/2017/01/unwashed-fabric/


The website states that there is 3% shrinkage in length = (1"), 1% in width (5/8").  They do send a generous cut, almost 38" instead of 36".   I've thread marked a 4" square, and will throw it in the wash to see where we end up after following the washing instructions.  For the white jersey, I'll be washing it in warm cycle and tumble dry.

True to form, it did shrink 1" in length, and my cut being 38" leaves me with 37" for my yard.  The width, is 58" vs the original 62", However... the website states that the fabric you are purchasing is 56" wide, so it's all good. There is a remnant of the hard edge, and there is rolling on the edges now, but I'm still getting a generous 56" in spite of all of that.


I will say, it feels comforting, out of the dryer, I want to wrap myself up in it and get back in bed.

Conclusion:

It will shrink once you wash it

Despite shrinkage you will get a wider fabric than ordered, and a longer cut.

And ultimately more than the website promises.


I opted to wash and tumble dry, because two layers of  heavy cotton jersey in the final garment may take too long to air dry.


The next project is the beginning of my home made Christmas presents....

 

2 comments:

celkalee said...

Looks good to me. Finding quality fabric made in USA is almost impossible. I will keep this in mind, thank you. Sooooo, is there a pattern in mind for these? Stay home and sew, OK?

ELMO said...

I don't usually splurge like this, but I want to support US manufacturing. It's nice that a company can under promise and over delivery. The pattern for the moment is a stole. I'm mulling over what pieces I want to make for me.