Saturday, March 9, 2019

Getting to know your serger...... Babylock Imagine






Before I moved, I sold my Bernina Bernette serger.  It was a pain to thread, and my head was being filled with thoughts of a Babylock Imagine.  I really should stay off sewing boards.  One day on ebay, I see one selling for a fraction of the price of a new one.  The vendor allowed returns, so I jumped at the chance.  It was bare bones, not even a foot pedal was included.  I picked up an after market foot pedal, had a little trouble using the air delivery system, but never having had Babylock before, didn't realize that, that could be the reason it was selling so cheaply.  I took it in to be serviced, they recommended just pulling the threads through and not using the air threader.

Off I went to Office Depot, the owner's manual printed and spiral bound.  The large cheat sheet was printed off and laminated, in color even!  Then packed it up to move.






 I had tried to use it a few times, was really not impressed with the loopy stitches.  I considered getting rid of it, the Babylock dealer, would not take it in as a trade in, they recommended that I try and sell it on my own.  I thought, darn, I'm stuck with it.  As with many things I've encountered during the home renovation, my mantra was, I own it, and I'm going to make it work.

I watched some youtube videos, and one in particular which hit all of the major issues I was having with my machine. Trouble shooting your Babylock serger, presented by Babylock.

This video was a revelation.  The reason I was getting loops at the edge of the fabric, was that I had left the settings for a four thread overlock, but wanted a three thread overlock.  I  just removed the thread from the left needle, and left the needle in place.  Apparently a no no.  Once I followed her instructions, then moved onto the Owner's manual, the machine sews all of the stitches as designed.






Since learning how to use it, I have made up samples and taped them to my lamintated cheat sheet.



The overlock,/ serger, was never really an essential machine for me.  Most of my sewing was done on wovens, and frankly, a straight stitch, and zig zag were all that I needed.  When working with knits, however, the overlock does provide a seam with a bit of stretch, and finishing off seam allowances look cleaner as well.  I'm delighted it works, and I may have to try out those decorative threads later.

Squee!!!  Look at that sparkle ;)



2 comments:

celkalee said...

Well, as you know I love my Baby Lock Ovation. My big gun Bernina made a nice stitch, most of the time but it was fiddly, every time I sat down I had to play with multiple samples to get what I needed. My air threader works well, you might have a little lint or piece of thread stuck in there somewhere. Mine came with a little wire, little more than a hair thick that I lost but is supposed to be used to check out the air tracks. In any case, love your sample idea. Mine are in a practice book and I have to look through to find what I need. I am going to do little samples like this and hang them in front of my face since I only use a limited number of stitches anyway. So glad you are posting again. Toodles.

ELMO said...

My Bernette was already quite old, but built well. The tension disc is what was giving me issues and, allegedly, they can't be repaired. It's really great to have a working overlock thought. Sorry I couldn't find one with the wave stitch. What I would use it for, I'm not sure.... but anywho. Happy to be back.