Monday, March 4, 2019

Tiny Quilt piecing, it's not for beginners.....

It was so cute, so small, I thought I'd be finished in no time. I thought, it would be a mat for kitty, look at these small prints.  Adorable!  I didn't realize how much work it would be.  My first attempt at straight machine piecing didn't go so well.  All 13 stars are finished but none of them look accurate.. I had thought to just remake the ones which weren't perfect, and I find that all 13 will need to be remade.  This first set will definitely be made into a cat mat. A small project is good for  beginning skill building, small pieces are not.

The small pieces are difficult to manage, I feel like I have fat fingers, and no coordination.  What's especially challenging is that the pieces will need to be cut once again, no small feat.  Each 3" block is made up of 17 pieces, times 13 is 221 pieces.  This won't be finished any time soon.  Maybe a block a week is what I should aim for.



Paper foundation attempt

This was definitely sewing origami.  I'm sure things will go quicker as I get more practice.


So grateful for the add a quarter ruler, it was put to use immediately.


So many little pieces grrrrr



How about the English paper piecing method. The template has been trasferred to stencil material, but these pieces are sooo small.  I'll be honest, I don't think the paper pieceing method is going to be attempted.  The pieces are just too tiny.



For a first attempt, I'm really liking the results.  This is far and above a better result. Interestingly, the block produced with the paper piecing, is a touch larger, they are supposed to finish at 3 1/2" which looks to be right on the money.   Now just another 12 stars to go (204 pieces yowza!!).  The top was machine pieced, and the bottom was the paper piecing method.  This is definitely a study in the turn of the cloth.  With such small blocks, you lose a lot in the fold, and the pieces shrink.







2 comments:

celkalee said...

Yes small pieces are more difficult. No matter what method you employ. My friend Rose is a master at it. She pieces 1 inch pieces. Amazing. Fundamentals are more easily achieved starting with large blocks. 2 1/2 inches is a great starting block because it is divisible by other blocks, it is easy to gauge the 1/4 inch. The reason we use the term Scant 1/4 inch seam is to account for the turn of cloth. Sometimes that is only one or two threads and yes you have to square up every block every time you sew a seam, I have trimmed small blocks away to nothing in pursuit of the small piecing. Ha! Mr. B. might have a nice collection of blankets soon, yes?

ELMO said...

The paper piecing should go quicker when I find my readers. This block was created more on intuition. I'll practice some more this evening. Rose is a master, I'm not there yet.

I'll just start making cat mats and layer them one on top of the other, I'll have a prince and the pea kitty :)