Monday, March 14, 2011

Topstitching a trench....

This is just a tease shot of the trench coat topstitching, it took some doing but with a Microtex needle and Gutterman buttonhole thread, I'm pretty please with the result I'm getting...

IMG_2523

This pattern is only 7 pieces, The body is only 2 pieces, 2 piece sleeves and a collar.

IMG_2522

IMG_2520

I have finished only the cutting and marking and the first seam.  You'll notice even though the fabric is stiff, it benefits from being cut on the bias.

8 comments:

Corrine said...

We are soon going to start calling you the "Queen of Bias!" Your top stitching looks great!

ELMO said...

LOL You can call me Vionnet... I'm glad I finally got to experiment a little with bias, I actually have the two Vionnet books and I would like to recreate one of her gowns... I just can't make up my mind which one...sigh.

Corrine said...

Ah, such talent I will never have! The gowns I have seen are absolutely amazing! I amso impressed!

Jilly Be said...

Looking VERY nice!

ELMO said...

Thanks JB!! I'm shooting for Friday but I think it might be earlier.

ELMO said...

Ok, so I don't think I can qualify for the Vionnet award just yet...

Jilly Be said...

You actually might have me re-thinking the concept of a trench - I've always pooh-poohed the idea (for me only, that is...) but I love the simple lines of yours, & the drape looks very promising! I'm following this with interest.

ELMO said...

I really like this one, it's not typical, more like an evening trench. I'm working on the hem now.