Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Anyone else making masks?






Dear Lord,
This reminds me of the Australian wildlife request for Joey bags, there were so many patterns to pick from.  It was heartbreaking to hear that there were containers of items that had shipped to Australia that could not be used because of incorrect fabric, confection or pattern.  So much waste,  I told myself, nope, I'm not doing it, no masks.

I started watching youtube channels and sewists making masks, I saw the same thing happening.  I saw one channel use leather for the lining of the mask.  Her heart was in the right place, but I can't see that being practical.  then there was the HEPA vacuum filter face mask, in which you had to remove the plastic layer, otherwise the recipient would not be able to breath.... the team at a hospital that requested, exactly what they wanted, showed you how to make it, and then they would provide the filter once the masks arrived.  They even said they would sterilize the masks.  They were very well organized.  Then the four layer mask... the one with interlining, flannel.... then I happened upon a group coordinating masks with recipients.  They also have a library of patterns and some research.

The Makemasks2020.org .... click HERE

Research on fabrics and their efficacy...
Research Gate net... click HERE.

I was warming up to the idea, but still not convinced, until my brother in Texas,  asked for masks.  Then my cousins and their children, grandchildren...

The next step was to test the designs.
This is the Clover mask design on the makemasks2020 website, and it was uncomfortable, it pushed down on my nose, until I put a 16 gauge wire at the bridge.  It's pretty comfortable for my face.  Then my cousin asked for a 4 layer mask, and I found another pattern.... I tried it and I couldn't breath through it, so we went with the clover mask, and the Bonnie Hunter youtube video for masks for men.... click HERE






Features... the masks have filter pockets, and nose guards.  The nose guards are made from  16 gauge wire, that was a bear to bend.




I was awash in hearts.....






I had thought to donate some, but my family have requested them all except for two.... 31 masks finished, and they took much longer than expected.  I estimate each mask at 45 minutes, I need to organize my space better for workflow.  I made the mistake of trying to make the ties out of bias cut muslin... never again.  I found a roll of round elastic, and that made things move quicker.

Ok, well, I may make a few more and donate them, but I need my fingers to recover.
They are pretty cute, I must say....


4 comments:

celkalee said...

Cute, cute, cute! Mask, in and of themselves, are becoming a fashion statement. Your family will certainly be right up there. You did good! I will send you a crumpet, O'briens recipe, well then again, maybe not! Take care, be well.

ELMO said...

Let's see how family feels once they receive them. That should be tomorrow. I sent a little instruction sheet for how to get them on, and then I thought, no great product requires explanation.... we shall see.

LindaC said...

Masks! Yes. Both my children are essential workers, I wanted them to have masks. Then I wanted their co-workers to have masks. Having co-workers with masks kept my children safer, I felt. Options on masks. Like you I watched a multitude of videos and found one that I felt was most protective and then I started a production line. At first I could sew 6 in one day. Now I can easily sew 12 in a day. My family all has some and now most co-workers. I'll use up my stash of supplies then I will be done. I hope. Unless there is a second wave this fall. I want to cry with each mask I finish and yet I feel I am doing something to help.

ELMO said...

If anything, I think it gives people a sense of security, and giving someone a mask, also lets them know you thought of them = love. There's nothing wrong with that.... I think I'm finished. I just posted a surprise order for my brother's friends.I have two more to make for my brother's family locally, but he rejected the idea early on.... I'll sneak some in his trunk. It takes me forever to make the masks, but I did use up quite a bit of stash ;)