Thursday, July 1, 2021

Vogue 2753 Issey Miyake, wrap top

This has been in my stash since 2008, honestly where does the time go?  A fellow sewist sent it to me in a swap and I never found the right fabric for it.  2008 was when the onion skin knits were popular, so I had hope that one would turn up. Nope.  


The pattern envelope recommends a georgette knit.  As far as I'm aware, georgette is a woven.  I went with a Fabric mart mystery bundle fabric, it is red, with gold metallic, there was some hemming and hawing about whether to use the reverse, but you only live once. You will need floor space or industrial cutting table space to cut this.  I had to clear the floor 3 7/8 yds to lay the piece.



This took me back, the fabric is folded here, and that is the sash piece.  There wouldn't be enough fabric to make the top.  I read the instructions again, and the sash is cut out of a single layer, not doubled up. Phew. I ended up laying it flat, and just cutting a strip, the width of the largest width of the pattern piece.  Later, I went back in and cut out the indentations, notches and marked the circles and squares.


In fact all of the pieces are cut single layer, so you need to be careful you don't accidentally flip a piece when you're laying out your pieces. And if you do flip, you will be changing the shoulder that's exposed.



This is what is left over for the skirt.  Since I didn't have enough fabric, it will be an altered skirt or something entirely different.  The skirt included with the pattern has drape across the belly, I may opt for something more streamlined.


Front
I might add some red fringe to lengthen the sash a bit.

Back

You can always tell when a pattern has been draped vs pattern drafted, and this is one of them.  It went together quickly, more time is spend understanding the directions. As a matter of fact, the directions were fine until the third to last step.  I went with what I thought and ended up tearing out some basting so I think it turned out pretty well.  This will definitely need a strapless bra.
Skirt will be next.


2 comments:

celkalee said...

Wow, love it!

ELMO said...

It turned out better than expected and no alterations to pattern which is unheard of.