Sunday, September 12, 2010

Featherweight Case part 3

So after a full day of scrubbing, the little guy screamed "uncle" and I stopped.  Tomorrow, I will start to recover him.  I don't recommend doing this unless it is absolutely necessary.  It is a lot of work :( but I'll have an original case with no smell, that is unique.  Fabric selection next....

002

001

I know I can go out and buy a perfectly functioning case, but these were very well made (aside from the falling apart), it really only needs a little glue and TLC. The previous owner left it sitting in water, which was part of the problem. I don't think the replica cases were built with dove tail joints.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I'm enjoying watching your progress on this. It's a beautiful example of well done craft.

celkalee said...

Wow, I have to say I would not have undertaken this project. (I just realized how odd that I used to descriptive...undertaken!) My dear little Featherweight came with its original box, fabric (which is vinyl) mostly intact, no smell. I sure was lucky, good luck with this, can't wait to see the end result!

ELMO said...

It's been fun working on it.

Celkalee, I had heard about cases that don't smell and started thinking it was an urban myth.

celkalee said...

Dear Elmo, I guess I was really lucky. I bought my machine with case on Ebay about three or four years ago. It was as described. I have also heard about another method to "clear the air." Someone stated (I don't remember where) that she placed a charcoal briquette in a small bowl and closed the lid fora few days. Made sense to me, but I didn't need to try it. I also heard from that source that the glue used in construction deteriorates and adds to the aroma.