Sunday, August 16, 2015

Is paint quality better or worse now....

Painting is what I have been doing for two weeks now, painting the home I'm selling, and the one I will be moving to.  I've tried almost every brand of paint, Behr, Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, Pratt and Lambert and now Farrow & Ball.  Is the paint getting better or worse?  Maybe it's low VOC but it takes more than two coats to get a nice even coat.

I prime everything, here I used Kilz (just in case), and then used the Farrow & Ball undercoat (primer), and two coats of the Blackened.  This is a two coat paint.



I was going to move onto the bedroom but when this happened.... I popped into a nearby Sherwin Williams and bought something comparable.  My Farrow and Ball dealer, doesn't carry paint, only undercoats, and the paint itself is ordered and shipped from Canada.  It's expensive so this shot was sent to the dealer, and they will replace it free of charge but I needed it yesterday, so that was disappointing.  For anyone considering delving into F&B, it's a commitment of time and money, I can't speak to the durability of the paint just yet, time will tell.


This was the Sherwin Williams version of Slipper Satin from Farrow & Ball.  Surprisingly or not, SW already has formulas for all of the F&B colors.  They were running a sale this weekend 35% off of their premium matte paints.  It took, 2 coats and many touch ups to get it uniform.  I'm not going back to SW again.  The baseboard is Wevet eggshell from F&B.




It really is a pleasure to paint an empty room.

So back to my original question are paints getting better or worse?  I remember painting with Sherwin Williams Cashmere, it has lasted 10 years and still looks good, my bedroom is painted with Pratt & Lambert and it looks great and easy to clean up.  I am hoping that the recently painted rooms will hold up, or wall paper may be in the future.


Oh and finally the score of the century, an oriental rug for $60.
I've always wanted one of these, so thank you universe!!  






2 comments:

celkalee said...

Your infinite patience in all this painting will most certainly be rewarded in the future, I don't have it now and probably will not any time soon. As for quality, I have no idea. The Pro's vary in their favorites from time to time too. I guess it is all just as good as your last project! SW used to be a good quality paint as are all the others you mentioned. I have to do major painting of every room in the house (not the two long halls though, phew) and I am dreading it.

Love the rug, but you already know that.

ELMO said...

Haha, I love my rug :) The small triumphs, are what I live for. I have another week of painting before I can say I'm finished. You'll love painting again, it just never gets old ;)