Sunday, June 20, 2021

OOP McCall's 4608 the cocoon loungewear jacket

 I picked this pattern up 6 years ago before my move, not sure what year it was made, but I'm going to guess 80's.  I bought it for the cocoon jacket. The pattern itself says to focus on overlock techniques, and illustrates all of the non overlock techniques.  There is a written section on the first page of instruction that tells you how to use your overlock. 



The pieces are very large, the fabric slippery, it had to be pinned on the floor


It's taking shape.... still need to roll that neckline and cuffs.


Finally finished!


The edges were hand rolled


Fabric used: Polyester Stretch Satin

Is it possible for a fabric to dislike you?  This is the second project I've made with this fabric, and it's so slippery it fights the feed dogs, so you have to sew very slowly to make sure the edges don't wander.

The pattern is large, and to save fabric, I clipped the cuff a bit.... the length of the sleeve is about 5/8" shorter than intended.  I popped in Casablanca and spent the afternoon hemming that puppy.

As I looked at the pattern I was thinking, how do you make an FBA here?  I do like the sleeves, they don't catch on drawer knobs like kimonos do.  I will have to think a bit if I will make it again, it really is a cocoon. 

I am going to add two ties to the center front to keep the jacket from sliding off.  I think it will get some use, I've been looking for something I can throw over my shoulders at night to keep them warm, and this offers enough modesty, that I can answer the door if someone unexpectedly drops in.

What's next you ask? I need to clean my sewing room and get ready for .... Alabama Chanin t shirt

No comments: