Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Vogue 8499 Marci Tilton Ankle pant....


 
We are making the shorter version on the right. You can google these, a number of reviews exist for it them.  I think these could be great pants to knock around in.  Into the Fabric Mart mystery bundle fabric bin :).  I chose a herringbone silk noil, since that is the closest to linen I could find.  It is 2 yards, 44" wide.

For the first time, I used a three step top stitch on my Bernina.  It saved me from changing needles and finding matching top thread.  It gave me a nice subtle top stitch.



I had to pull in some green poplin for the inside pocket, because the noil was 44", and two yards, and I eeked out the pant.







 Here we go another oversized pattern, instead of a size 20, I cut a 14, it's got that much ease in it people.  That will make the waist 2" larger than my hips, and will still leave me 5" of wearing ease around the thigh/hip.

 

Once I arrived at the crotch seam, I basted the pants together for a try on.  The waist had shrunk a bit with all of the topstitching but I could still get into them comfortably.  Out of an abundance of caution, I gave myself a little more space by taking only 1/2" on the crotch seam.


The fabric stretched a bit, it wasn't the best quality silk noil, but they're still pretty cute.  You have to remember to mark your circles and notches which are most important on the last steps, when you finish the waistband.  The front waistband is interfaced and faced, the back is turned down to form an elastic casing.  I may just forget the facing in the next pair and lengthen the front waists.  The interfacing can go directly into the waist seam allowance and turned.  We shall see.

This pattern is OOP but has been republished under Vogue 1731.


Also.... I don't know how tall those mannequins are, or the model on the new Vogue release but my hem  falls lower, and I'm 5'6".

2 comments:

celkalee said...

Well, hello there! Looks to me like we have a winner here! Love 'em! I looked at that pattern for ages but at 5'3" I fear I would look like a fireplug. However, a few weeks ago a friend wore something very similar, (she is 5 feet tall in high shoes!) more pegged actually, and she looks so put together. Yours appear well proportioned and very comfortable. It is all about proportion and your adjustment seems to have taken care of that. Is there another fabrication?

ELMO said...

I know how you feel, this was really a leap for me. I like more tailored clothes but was tempted by how comfortable and unfussy they looked. There might be another one in the works, the longer pair are the same pattern but lengthened, perhaps the longer pair next.