Saturday, June 26, 2021

Zandra Rhodes caftan research Vogue 1627

 We've all seen it the Zandra Rhodes Vogue pattern V1627, but did you know, if you search online, there are a number of examples from the 1970's in the designers own hand painted designs?  I love doing this type of research, especially if you are suffering from fabric selection insecurity.  Yes it looks good in these examples but will it look good in the fabric I pick? I mean, I don't have any hand painted Zandra Rhodes hand painted silks.



These examples appear to be most like the pattern




Here, the one on the right is more like the pattern, the caftan on the left has added a ruffle along the lining and sleeve edge.

A different kind of print..... with a scallop hem

This is the one that really intrigues me, because it has hooks down the center front, which I had thought were pearl buttons, which makes this pattern wearable.  The sleeves are a little shorter as well.







Here we have some bridal versions with some sequins added and more exaggerated sleeves. The "sequins" are actually one piece, branch with three leaves.  It's a great way to quickly add some sparkle without spending a lot of time adding small elements.  



This version has a different kind of sequin, which are large leaves sewn in pairs.



This looks like we are back to the pattern version and less exaggerated sleeves, on Donna Summer.


An allover print below, which will be easier to source...



And the designer, with more examples of what you can do with this pattern

The possibilities are endless...

2 comments:

celkalee said...

These are stunning. Fabric sourcing is the problem these days. I went Quilt Shop Hopping yesterday, and trust me, I had NO problem sourcing fabric. Oh my, I am out of control! Of course, there is no drape to quilt fabrics, but, hey, I was in heaven.

ELMO said...

Getting out is important, have you ever made it over to Fabricmart? I think it would be dangerous, but one day a pilgrimage is in order.