Saturday, June 19, 2021

Vogue 1503 Floaty summer top Rachel Comey

 This looked so summery (the one on the left) I couldn't resist it, it's been sitting in the stash a while, initially I purchased it for the shirt view, but there was another oversized Vogue pattern I wore to death, the 1247 also a Rachel Comey design.  A mock up was made at the beginning of the month, and sadly it just doesn't suit me anymore.


I had read about the 1503 being too boxy, so it was quickly pinned to assess... sometimes a fabric with drape will counter boxiness. This is cut out of a rayon challis with a bit of stretch, it has plenty of drape. I think we'll be ok, if this works out, I'll have another version sewn up.... don't you just love my optimism?  

The instructions call for a bias tape of self fabric for the neckline finish, but the fabric was so bouncy, and fraytastic, I thought it would not help hold the shape. Also, the instructions omitted the back neckline treatment, it was skipped so I treated it the same way as the front.  I ended up using a packet of Wright single fold bias tape from Joann's.

This was fun, the center front ruffle is supposed to have a seam down the center but I placed the pattern piece on the fold, and did not correct it.  My version has a little more ruffle volume by about1 1/4".




This still needs to be pressed and trimmed (threads everywhere), but I think it will be a cute summer top.  It is not a print I would normally wear but the colors suit me, and darn it, I'm going to wear it.  I think a solid silk color version would be more sophisticated, and could be the next version.  I liked this pattern!

And... it coordinates with my new green pants, Yay!!



Hmmm what to do next...... maybe a cocoon coat, just kidding, or maybe not.. stay tuned.


4 comments:

celkalee said...

Too cute and very on-trend this Summer. AND you are keeping it! I have seen a lot of dresses in the catalogs this season, many of them remind me of the styles popular in the 1980's; jumper-style with a T-shirt or button front with a back tie that gathers the excess fabric. I am thinking I may resurrect some old patterns. If I didn't send them to Goodwill, not sure, need to dig around a bit.

ELMO said...

You are right, I'm seeing some styles coming back again. I wish my shape from the 80's would come back. :)

LindaC said...

I like this. It has interesting seam lines. Can't understand why the front ruffle would have a seam. I don't usually wear ruffles but this looks so comfy and interesting. I love tops made of rayon. I hope you enjoy wearing it.

ELMO said...

Hiya Linda, I haven't worn it yet, I've been squirreling away the new clothes for company. I've been working on a house and have been mostly in my "work" clothing but looking forward to getting back to normal.