Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Cheating at Log Cabins....

I hope this doesn't get traffic from adultery searches :).  Not off to a brilliant start, the ergonomic Fiskars rotary cutter purchased in the last 6 months, used for 4 cuts previously, did not keep it's edge.  I had a number of strips that were more mangled than cut cleanly.  If anyone can shed some light, I would appreciate it.  I am working on an older cutting mat and thought maybe that might have contributed, It is a mystery.  I mean, do I need to change the blade for every quilt?  Is that a thing?



Assembling the blocks, some are better than others, some strips are a bit wonky.  I've discovered, all are user errors.  Areas where the blocks were pressed not quite flat, which left a tuck, that wasn't seen until the block was well advanced. Areas of puffiness, where the feed dogs fed through a lighter yarn dye fabric faster than a thicker one, and finally stretching the end of the strip.. again, my fault.


Ugh. Can you see those puckers?



Having mangled edges, which means uneven strips, and tucks, and maybe not perfect ironing here and there meant taking precautions.  I like the log cabin arrangement because in the end, you need to get the outer dimension right, since the inner piecing doesn't have to line up, it does that naturally, so if it's a little off, it's still ok.  To remedy the size of the block, when arriving at around the 5 strip width, I began placing them on the mini mat, and lining them up on the left side and bottom, and placing the new strip down lined up to the marks at the top.  This might save me.








I also tried to audition some new fabrics to add to the selection that was 20 years old, it's best I think to get all of your fabrics at once.  Out of the four purchased, there was one that was a stinker, it's just too different.  It's the one in the bottom center next to the red... terrible.


Now the blocks are finished, tomorrow, we join!!
Just in time, the fabric.com order should arrive tomorrow, and we'll have a look at the candidate for appliques, very exciting!!






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is especially exciting as my current project is a scrappy log cabin. You have a ton of completed blocks, I must have missed the beginning of this project? Now I need to read back some.

ceci

ELMO said...

Hi Ceci
The blocks were finished pretty quickly, actually quicker then I thought. I started by completing one block at a time, but then switched to assembly line, it made all the difference.

LindaC said...

"Cheating at Log Cabins." Ha!
I can't imagine why you would have to change the blade in your rotary cutter after just one quilt. My blades last a long time but I don't cut much poly or man-made fibers. It is the man-made fibers that will dull your blades just like scissors. Maybe you just had a faulty blade? I'm not a quilter but I certainly admire people that have the patience to create quilts. It's quite a skill and yours is turning out very nicely.
--LindaC

ELMO said...

Hello Linda!
Oh oh, I cut cotton first, and at Christmas a stretch polyester satin. I'll change out the blade and go from there. Thank you for the complement.