Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A different sort of UFO, quilted cat mats put to use


I should stop watching youtube.  My 20 year old cat needs a place to roost, and his favorite place is my human sized sofa.  It is a wonder when a 10 lb cat can displace a much larger human.  I started out looking for a cat tree house. They are very expensive, and ugly, then I happened upon a youtube video of a man constructing one out of a concrete form tube.  I thought, I can do that, there's nothing to it.  A year later... and well, it sits there mocking me.  First I had trouble cutting it, and if you have a man in your life who is a woodworker or good with tools and saws, or if you are good at that, you'll probably finish it in a weekend.  Initially, I wanted a very simple and unsteady design, just a "T" shape. My brother who took pity on me suggested more support, so we settled on this.




There's more construction that had to happen because I thought little of how this would come together.  I was just sure, I wanted it to be washable.  He has the occasional upset, and carpet would not be easy to clean.

It is covered in a vinyl upholstery cloth, picked up at a thrift store.  There is polyester batting beneath, giving it a slight puffy look, although if I were to do it again, I think foam would be a better option.

I made the mistake of taking the batting all the way in, and it is held in place by... wait for it, 3M adhesive.  Once that was done, I realized nothing else would stick to the inside. The edges were then fastened to the openings with stitching, after a grueling evening of poking the stitching holes with an awl.  This is very hard on the hands.  A cat mat was quilted, the full width of the tube, this will give it, the second layer of comfort, and cover the tube interior. Then a bit of whimsy, with a furry leopard print fabric, gifted to me by a neighbor.



This is the penthouse


This is the hiding place, although, he mostly ignores this area.


The final product... which may get some straps in the future to cover the binder clips that are holding the leopard fabric in place.





And voila!! A finished cat house, with scratching post.

2 comments:

celkalee said...

Sweet Mr. B. He is one lucky kitty.

ELMO said...

He's been a good companion, and we are celebrating 20 years on Valentines day.... I still can't get him off the couch though.