Saturday, January 18, 2020

Log Cabin progress....

Finished with the first pass of quilting, even though the batting allows for 10" quilt spacing, I will go back in and quilt a smaller square, in each of the 42 blocks.  Then the surprise patch, as a nod to the recipient, binding, then finished!!  It would be great to be finished by Sunday but that might be a little too optimistic.


I don't remember having this much trouble getting the quilt through the harp space.  It turns out, I quilted the last quilt on the Singer 15-91, which has a slightly larger space then the Bernina Artista 730.  Both have a  7" arm length, but the Singer is 5", a full inch taller than the Bernina.  I can't imagine sewing a queen size on this machine.



It's like a dog with a bone.




Okay, it's now Saturday night, getting so close but alas, had some hiccups.
I tried the stitch in the ditch walking foot attachment instead of the quilting walking foot I had been using.  Disaster, visibility was bad, and the stitch was next to the ditch, not in the ditch.


You may not be able to see it, but the not in the ditch is happening in the second depth of strips, Argh!!


I've only stitched the block seams, then the first outer strips, and the second depth of strips in the center, that's all I'll be doing.


Did manage to get the quilt squared up 


and added a 1/4" binding on it. 



I would have finished tonight, but it's late, I'm tired and I elbowed the zigzag at some point and broke a needle.  Tomorrow however is another day.

2 comments:

celkalee said...

My Dear, you have done a beautiful job, what a wonderful gift! I know all too well the challenge of quilting a large piece on a domestic machine. Lots of shifting and bobbing around. But your work is beautiful, I am so proud of you! And let me say, that 1/4 inching binding is absolutely perfect for this quilt. It frames it but does not dominate, just right.

ELMO said...

Thank you so much, you know you are my main source of information for quilting.