Thursday, January 30, 2020

Handkerchief Linen Chemise Laughing Mercantile #115


Finished, it was a lot of hand sewing, even with joining the seams by machine, the hemming and flat felling is substantial.  I can say it's a good candidate for sleepwear, after taking a nap in it. (update: Not a good candidate for sleeping, the sleeves would need to go)  It's a blank canvas for any embellishment you might want to add.


These gussets were fun, until I had to do the other side, and the instructions were to repeat on the other side.  There is a definite order to which seam allowance you should be trimming, and which you should fold over.  I may do a tutorial on that.


Did I mention how much flat felling there was?  This was a pin baste, before the thread baste, and then the stitching while watching TV.


Two eyelets made by hand, on the inside neck binding.


They say to use cotton for the neckline binding, but what I had in the stash was too yellow.  I went with a poly satin. 



This is a mistake, do not do this.  I pulled the ribbon through, before stitching the binding down.  I managed to catch the ribbon in a few places, but gratefully did not have to rip anything out.  I did this because I thought there might be an issue getting the ribbon around the 90 degree angles.  Maybe the answer is basting the ribbon on the binding away from the stitching edge.

All in all, I recommend this pattern, the ribbon is tied on the inside of the neckline so it remains hidden while wearing.  I think the gussets make it comfortable, and the ribbon at the neckline makes it adjustable.  The pattern has the option of a lower neckline, or higher neckline, I went with the lower neckline.  

This won't be my last, there are a few other patterns waiting to be explored.



Hmmm what next...... can I finish another project before the end of the month?



No comments: